Friday, August 15, 2014

Lauren Bacall

It was in Greensboro, North Carolina of all places---back in the 727 days.  The year was 2000.  We had just finished the first leg of a three day rotation.  As I stepped into the gate area a small funny looking dog caught my attention.  It was about half the size of a Chihuahua and had giant butterfly shaped ears.  It was on a leash and was standing beside an older woman with very attractive legs.  She was holding a small soft-sided animal case, and was waiting to speak with the gate agent.  I remember thinking:  That must be a Papillon . . . and her legs remind me of Lauren Bacall . . . That's because it is Lauren Bacall!

Back on the airplane, prior to boarding, I asked the flight attendants if they liked old movies.  A few heads nodded yes.  The lead flight attendant asked:  "Why?"  I said: "Lauren Bacall is on our flight this afternoon."  Someone said:  " How old is she now?'  I said:  "I'm not sure; maybe mid-seventies.  She looks great!  I wish I could say the same for her dog."  The grumpy flight attendant (there was one on every 727) sighed.  "She has a dog?"  "Yes, a Papillon---little guy with big ears.  She has a cage that will fit under the seat."  Another sigh from grumpy.  "Well, she better not try to let it out---I won't stand for it!"  Then she walked to the back of the airplane.  I remember thinking:  I guess she's not a movie buff . . . doesn't like dogs either . . .  probably has a house full of cats.


No comments:

Post a Comment