Saturday, December 22, 2012

Ned Mac's Latest Verse

Aviator, Photographer, Philosopher, Airport Manager, Chef.  Our good friend Eddie Price is a man of many talents.  I know what you are thinking, Tell us something we don't already know.  Would you believe that prior to becoming the Chief Pilot at Pond Branch Airways, Brother Price was a man of verse.  That is correct; a poet---his pseudonym was/is Ned Mac. 

My first exposure to Ned Mac was in a "Reply to All" email that made the rounds several years ago.  I can't remember what triggered the event---possibly a comment after viewing one of his many photo albums; but I was not surprised.  I could tell he was a man of the arts by the way he titled his email postings.  I particularly like the way he snags a line from a previous post, and then uses it to send the thread in a slightly different direction.  But that's not important right now. . .

Last week Eddie and a few of his Tree Top Flyer buddies flew up to Shelby, North Carolina and had lunch at a Bar-B-Q joint that is located next to the airport.  After viewing the photo log of their trip, I sent Eddie the following email: 
 
Looks like your trip to Shelby was a good one! Was it bumpy? It was rough in the upper layers Friday! Can't remember when I've had a worse ride. Picked up the Orlando Magic basketball team in MCO and flew them up to CLT. I could see the lights of PBA (at least the general vicinity) on the descent into CLT. Dropped them off at the FBO that Gary and I used to work for. Nobody remembered me. (Sounds like the start of a sad Ned Mac ditty.)  In TPA for the day. Don't leave until 6:30 pm. One leg up to LGA and then we're done.  Have a great day at the center of the universe!

This was his reply:
 
 When I Thought I Was Special

(Inspired by NSEG’s Experience at the CLT FBO)


Nobody remembered me at the FBO.

That can make a fellow start feeling pretty low.

It wasn’t long ago I was there pumping fuel.

At the time it was my dream job, really a jewel.

Then later I was a pilot and flew all around.

Pay wasn’t that good but adventures did abound.

Flew a plane from Hampton - Varnville in ‘83.

That wasn’t long ago as any dude can see.

How can they not know somebody special like me?

Keep in touch with your past or you might be forgot.

Some things you find important and other things not.

Remember your roots and from where it is you came.

If nobody remembers don’t you feel ashamed.


Ned Mac 12/24/12*
 
 
Alias E in PB

*Revised from 12/16/12

No comments:

Post a Comment