Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Practice Makes Perfect, Or Just Leads To More Practice. . .

Jeff Skiles' recent article in Sport Aviation magazine about wheel landings in Alaska's bush country prompted me to reflect upon my own wheel landing proficiency, or lack thereof.  My three-pointers are, for the most part, pretty good.  There are a few clunkers here and there, but they are straight (mostly) and in the touchdown zone.  To be honest, I don't care as much about the touchdown as I do about the approach.  A well planned approach usually ends with a decent touchdown.  It works in the airliner; it works in the Luscombe; it works in the Hatz, usually---and the proficient/prudent pilot knows the approach isn't finished until the airplane is parked at the gate!  My wheel landings are just so-so---and since wheel landings are all about the touchdown, I really do care!


Two weeks ago I managed to cajole Brother Baker into riding along while I practiced wheel landings down at Lancaster, South Carolina.  Out of seven attempts, only two were respectable---the first; which I'd say was a seven, on a scale of one to ten; and another, equally unremarkable.  I also had one bounce to a go-around---the result of a poor approach, understandably.  Brother Baker's wheel landings (from the right seat) were flawless!  Well; one was a little weird, but nothing embarrassing.  The guy in the Mooney waiting to depart on Runway Six certainly couldn't tell anything was amiss!  They say practice makes perfect.  I'm not there---yet.  I still need more practice.

Other News:


Jellystone Air Park neighbor, Ray Bluhm, has just finished a six month project upgrading the avionics in his 2001 Vans Aircraft RV-4.  Original steam gage flight instruments have been replaced with a new Garmin single panel flight display that really looks sharp.  An autopilot was also added.  Ray's craftsmanship is outstanding.  Two Six Foxtrot Bravo is a serious travelin' machine. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment