Monday, August 4, 2014

Design Inspiration

My bride has been fussing about wanting to upgrade the interior at Casa La Cottom for quite some time.  The house is now fifty years old, and to be honest, could use some work---especially the bathrooms.  The kitchen got a partial face lift three years ago.  We skipped the full blown renovation because we could not decide exactly what we wanted---and funds were limited with the last (of three) kids still in college.  Fresh paint and new counter tops will hold us for a while.

Thankfully, the exterior is in pretty good shape.  It was painted four years ago, and a new roof was installed last summer.  A new HVAC system was installed the summer before last, so mechanically we're in great shape---it is about time for a new water heater though. This summer's project, new windows, got delayed last summer when our oldest daughter announced she was getting married May 17, 2014.  We're now shooting for new windows in the fall---barring any new marriage proposals.

The interior paint job dates back to the year 2000, and is starting to show it's age.  Cats and dogs and moving three children off to college, and back, and then out again, has been exceptionally hard on baseboards and door moldings---and a visible reason why my bride is pushing for the redo.  We will probably wait until after the windows are installed to repaint the interior.  We'll tackle the bathrooms next, and then the final rendition of the kitchen---barring any new marriage proposals.

Until then we are collecting ideas, photographs, magazine articles, paint charts, etc., anything we can find to help us find our way.  To make the job easier we have divided the workload.  My bride is in charge of kitchen and bathroom design.  I am in charge of the family room.  We both agree that my office, the Clipper Morning Star Room---named for the Robert Taylor print of a Pan Am Boeing 377 Stratocruiser that hangs above my desk, and home to most of my flying memorabilia---does not need updating.  But enough about my office.  Below are some of the design ideas that we have collected.

Nancy's Kitchen
         
My bride is thinking New Old School Late 50's Retro for the kitchen.  Appliances are state of the art, but with vintage exteriors.  She found her inspiration on the Internet.  I'm a vintage airplane guy, so in my opinion, this looks great!

Gardyville

I'm thinking Old School Hangar for the family room.  My inspiration comes from Gardy Wilson's Cessna 180 hangar down the way from Jellystone Air Park.  I wonder if Gardy is willing to part with Curley the Concrete Indian.  Everything is for sale, right?  It would look fantastic standing beside the fireplace.  Speaking of which . . .


. . . the DC-6 will look great above the fireplace!

Gardy Wilson, Proprietor.

My thanks to all the folks at the Gardy Wilson Design Center!

Clipper Morning Star, by Robert Taylor
  


No comments:

Post a Comment