Friday, January 23, 2015

"bygone, rugged times. . ."


Brother Hogan said to keep my eyes peeled; a surprise was on the way. . .  It arrived in Monday's mail---a First Edition copy of Jenny Was No Lady, The Story of the JN-4D, by Jack R. Lincke, published in 1970.  Yeah, Brother Hogan finds cool stuff!  My bride calls him the King of the eBay Treasure Hunter's Club; I am inclined to agree.

The book is a joy to read!  So far, after only forty pages (out of 288) I have laughed out loud more than a dozen times!  Here's a teaser my airline compadres are sure to find amusing:

"In the bygone, rugged times, barnstorming Jennymen often slept under the wings of their ships.  Today, the gentlemen pilots of the airlines sleep in posh hotels.  It is coffee, cakes, and a 38-24-36 stewardess on the flight deck.  Such is the mischief of time and progress, those twin iconoclasts who do not keep their dirty fingers out of our business."

And because I know my audience:

Iconoclast: n noun

1.  One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.

2.  One who destroys sacred religious images.

Either definition will work. . .

Thank you Brother Hogan!

No comments:

Post a Comment