Thursday, November 26, 2015

Three More From Tom Kalina

Racing Abeam the Terminator, by Tom Kalina

Behold!  Racing Abeam the Terminator, by aviation artist, Tom Kalina.  This stunning rendition of a Delta Air Lines Convair 880 is one of three new Tom Kalina art prints on the wall at Casa la Cottom.  Here's what Tom has to say about the painting:

"The all-white painted Convair 880 races along the rising night sky.  Catching the last few minutes of sunlight, the plane is bathed in peach colored light.  The dividing line between day and night is known as the terminator.  At higher altitudes, this line of contrasting illumination can be quite vivid and pure in color."

I absolutely love this painting.  Tom has captured perfectly my favorite time of the day when I am at work.  When you are at cruise in the flight levels, the last few minutes of sunlight are quiet times on the flight deck.  The workload is usually low.  Conversations wane as the sun dips below the horizon.  This is the time I think about all that I hold dear:  My family; my friends; my colleagues---my extraordinary good fortune to be able to view "the dividing line between day and night."

The Terminator, Flight Level 320.
   
Calling all Super Connie fans!


Path of Experience, by Tom Kalina

Are you a fan of the Lockheed Constellation?  If so, then Tom's your guy.  He has three offerings to choose from:  An Air France L 1649A Super Starliner; a TWA L 1049G "Super G" with tip tanks; and Path of Experience, the Eastern Air Lines "Super G" shown above.

Let's not forget the DC-3.


Summer of My Youth, by Tom Kalina

A boy, his dog, and an Ozark Airlines DC-3.  What more could you ask for?  Summer of My Youth is my wife's personal favorite; and for good reason.  There is a tremendous amount of depth in this painting.


Nancy and I had a chance to visit with Tom and his lovely wife, Bonnie, at the Airliners International Convention at the Delta Flight Museum in Atlanta, Georgia this past June.  We chatted for a couple of hours.  It was fun to hear the story behind each painting, and Tom's ideas about future projects.  (I'm saving space on the wall for a Pan Am offering, hopefully.) When he's not painting, Tom can be found circling the globe in a Falcon 900---not too shabby, for a day job!

  
Sikorsky S-38/Falcon 900 Pilot-Aviation Artist, Tom Kalina, and Your's Truly at the 2015 Airliners International Convention in Atlanta, Georgia.

To see more of Tom's work, and to listen to the theme song to The High and the Mighty, check out www.tomkalina.com; you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment