Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Watch where you step!

The sign in the lobby of the Marriott Hotel in downtown Jackson, Mississippi read:  JACKSON, MS - ATTRACTIONS, SHOPPING, & FACILITIES.  There was a map that had circles with letters denoting where each attraction was located.  In the legend next to the letter J was written:  Mississippi Agriculture & Forestry Museum/National Agriculture Aviation Museum.  And I thought I would not have anything to do on my eighteen hour layover in Jackson, Mississippi . . .

Souther Field, Americus, Georgia, 1983.

I was a brand new, fresh out of the box, charter pilot---co-pilot, actually---on the job less than four months.  My captain; having successfully shoehorned our Cessna 402 into a parking space between a tired looking Cessna AGwagon and a nondescript hangar, said: "Watch your step out there," as I made my way back to open the door for our passengers. I thought he was just giving me a hard time because I was the new guy---probably concerned his wet behind the ears co-pilot might fall out of the airplane and embarrass himself in front of the customers.  A reasonable assumption, whether he knew it, or not. Navigating the cramped entryway in my size thirteen wingtip shoes was proving to be a challenge.  But I was careful---everyone made it out of the airplane safely, including me.

Once our passengers were safely on their way I had a chance to look around.  It was an overcast morning.  The air was damp and smelled sour.  The old asphalt ramp was just large enough to hold six transit airplanes.  In the weeds behind the ramp there was an old gray Stearman sprayer that had seen better days.  Next to the Stearman sat a Grumman Ag-Cat, also gray in color.  The FBO office was a single story afterthought beside a faded gray and white corrugated metal hangar.  It did not look inviting, nor did the old gray cat stretched out in the doorway.  My overall impression, at least at first glance:  There was not a lot of color in Americus, Georgia.  Except in the puddles on the ramp.  Here there was plenty of color.  Pinks, yellows, greens, and blues---rainbows of fertilizer and insecticide; which explained the sour smell.  Then it hit me.  My leader's caution was not about embarrassing myself in front of the passengers.  It was about stepping in something that might leave a lasting impression!  A quick glance down confirmed that I was safe for the time being.

By now my commander for the day had joined me on the ramp.  A couple of city-boy charter pilots in the middle of Georgia farm country.  After a few moments of taking in the sights and smells, he said: "Yeah, the first thing they teach you in crop dusting school is: Watch where you step.  The life you save may be your own!"

The National Agricultural Aviation Museum, Jackson, Mississippi, 2016



An eleven minute van ride from the Marriott Hotel in downtown Jackson.


Boeing Stearman . . . I'd swear old "Dusty" is trying to hide the fact that his trusty steed is sitting on bias ply automobile tires . . . Whitewalls too!




Spreaders . . .


"Cutback Duster," a modified 1947 Piper J-3 Cub.




Piper PA-25 Pawnee.




The prototype Grumman Ag-Cat.


National Agricultural Aviation Hall of Fame


Mr. C. E. Woolman.  That name rings a bell . . .


Mr. Kinky Shane, Beaumont, Texas . . . The first to plant rice from the air.  Don't you know he had a few stories to tell!


"Black Annie" cotton defoliant . . . That can't be good!



Crop Dusting in the Movies . . .


North by Northwest

"That's funny, that plane's dusting crops where there ain't no crops!"

For the young folks checking in . . .



This is a Cessna 402.

No comments:

Post a Comment