Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tom Kalina on the Wall

"I Will Glory in My Duty"

"I Will Glory in My Duty" is the latest addition to the gallery at Casa la Cottom.  It's Tom Kalina's print of a USMC RS-3, which is the military version of the Sikorsky S-38. 

Here is how Tom describes the painting on his web site:  "A United States Marine Corps Sikorsky RS-3 flies low across the water on a mission in Nicaragua, circa 1932. The USMC operated only two of the military version of the Sikorsky civil S-38 amphibious aircraft. Unlike its Navy counterpart that was painted dark gray with a black hull, this Marine Corps RS-3 fuselage was painted solid light gray."

I'm a huge fan of aviation art.  I like Tom's work because he specializes in airliners, specifically the prop-liners and early jets of the post World War II era.  I also have an affinity for flying boats.  The Consolidated Commodores, and Sikorsky S-38s, of NYRBA Line and Pan American Airways, are particularly fascinating to me.  I'm constantly on the lookout for new material.  When I saw Tom's rendering of the Marine Corps RS-3, my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets! 

I'm not the only aviation art enthusiast in the family.  My wife Nancy is as well.  I used to think she was just humoring me; but when she insisted we hang Tom's print of a Panagra DC-7 (a gift from The EG) in the living room, I knew she was hooked.  When she saw the RS-3 on Tom's web site last summer, she said:  "Wow, that's nice!  You should buy that for me!"  Yes; it was that easy!

"South American Glory"


No comments:

Post a Comment