Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Captain's Suite

I have to admit I was a little bummed when I signed in for my trip Wednesday morning at JFK.  The four day rotation would prevent me from attending this year's Carolinas-Virginia Antique Airplane Foundation Spring Fly-In, at Roxboro, North Carolina.  I tried to swap for a different trip; one that would at least give me Saturday off, so I could attend the Fly-In, but luck had forsaken me---so I thought.

Actually, the rotation is pretty nice.  Four days, two legs a day (Florida turns), and two of the three layovers are in midtown Manhattan, at the Roosevelt Hotel on Madison Avenue.  It's a nice hotel---far and away the best that I have ever stayed at in New York City.  But "nice" is a relative term.  In the airline world, a "nice" hotel room is usually located right next to the ice machine, or across the hall from the elevator with the extra loud bell.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the door to room 1108 Thursday afternoon and discovered an honest to goodness two room, two bath, GIANT suite!

I fired off an email to the Brethren that said:

 You know how we all kind of joke, "Ah yes, this must be the Captain's Suite" when we pick up our room keys at the front desk?  Well today at the Roosevelt Hotel it was no joke!  The bedroom and sitting room are both larger than the living room at Casa la Cottom!  Now I know this is standard stuff for you UAL and FedEx guys, but the dudes from Dixie just don't see this sort of thing!  I'm living large tonight Brethren!  Too bad I have to get up so early tomorrow; I could party like Bernie Madoff in this joint!

"View from the Captain's Suite"

Today I received a reply from John Mullis:

Like the T-shirt says, Bob:  Life is Good!

In my entire career, this has happened only twice. . .  Once in Boston at the Copley Square Westin, and I swear the room was 2000 square feet.  Magnificent view of the city was only the half of it.  The other time was in Paris at the Concorde LaFayette.  Top floor, 3 bedroom, 3 bath suite, looking east at all the great landmarks.

We all share your good fortune and your excitement!

The EG also replied:

Oh, I'm sorry my friend, but we need to see some part of the room.  You just can't leave us hanging like this.

Sorry Duncan, I could not get a picture that would do the room justice.  This one will have to suffice.

"Baron Von Cottom"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that Baron. Your looking quite Dapper in your "New" Bathrobe. So how did you get out of the hotel without paying for that??

    ReplyDelete