Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Few Ounces Lighter


I was chatting with Brother Baker yesterday afternoon.  He was filling me in on the goings-on at the Vintage Fly-In last weekend at Roxboro, North Carolina.  Towards the end of the conversation he said:  "You don't happen to know where Gary found the cushion that is in the front seat of the Hatz, do you?"

Well folks; one of the things I have learned about Brother Baker over the years:  When he leads with a question; there is usually a story to follow.  "I think it came with the airplane.  Why do you ask?"  "Well, I guess I owe him one. . .  Coming back from Les' place (Unity Airfield, northeast of Lancaster, South Carolina) last Thursday, I decided to try some aerobatics.  I lost the cushion in the middle of a roll.  You know how when you push the stick forward to keep the nose above the horizon. . .  It flew out then---hit me on the side of my head as it went by." 

After I stopped laughing, I told him that Gary said he flew the airplane Sunday afternoon.  He didn't mention anything about missing a seat cushion, so I guess he didn't notice.  He did say he got to pattern altitude faster than normal though! 

Joe "Barrel Roll" Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment